How to lose weight ?
Dr. Spatzierer, a nutritionist, discusses the problems caused by repeated diets, which he considers ineffective and harmful. Instead, he advocates sustained, regular physical activity and a balanced diet without frustration. Obesity - a public health problem - often requires surgical interventions in the digestive system.
No to dieting !
Let's put it bluntly : any diet even the most promising ones, is not THE solution to lose weight and has no long-term benefit. With their necessarily restrictive menus, all they generate are eating disorders. First observation: during a diet, you essentially lose muscles and water, so weighing is not an objective element. Second finding: in the following year, people reach their pre-diet weight again and even exceed it by XNUMX to XNUMX%. Then everything has to start all over again !
So, what do we do ?
You have to modulate your eating behavior, therefore modify it. What's that supposed to mean ? That you have to change your lifestyle and forget about sauce dishes and fries at every meal. It is better to eat healthier dishes, without excess fat, but also vary your diet and give pride of place to vegetables, fish, white meats. And then, you have to learn to indulge yourself, not hesitate to taste a delicious chocolate fondant without feeling guilty (of course, not every day !).
But the key to success is sport. You have to move again and again, not just once a week. And why move ? First, to revive thermogenesis, the process by which the body generates heat, while stimulating the rate of its metabolism, which increases energy expenditure and therefore burns calories. That is the first reason. But also the mere fact of being muscular allows us to maintain this "boiler" so necessary to our organism and quite simply to life. And then, the silhouette is much more harmonious with muscles than without.
So, choose the sport with which you feel most comfortable and devote a daily time slot (or 4 times a week, but not less). At first, it's a little tedious, but we quickly get used to it and you'll see, finally, it's hard to do without !
What is obesity ?
Everything above is about people who have kilos to lose but are not obese. How is obesity clinically defined ? Simply calculate your body mass index (BMI) by dividing your weight by your height squared (in metres). If the result is equal to or greater than 30, obesity is proven, at 40, it is massive obesity. And we must act quickly ! Because the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer is much higher in obese people, as is the risk of premature death.
How to treat it ?
This public health scourge is completely linked to a very sedentary lifestyle and therefore to a metabolism that stores too much. It is therefore imperative that obese people exercise to reactivate thermogenesis (see above). However, to obtain tangible results (40 to 70% weight loss), it is necessary to resort to more or less heavy surgical treatments :
- Le gastric balloon is recommended for moderate overweight.
- Gastroplasty (placing of a gastric band) which reduces the volume of the stomach and slows down the passage of food, thus restoring the feeling of satiety that repeated diets have annihilated. This procedure does not alter digestion.
- Gastric bypass is an operation that reduces the volume of the stomach and changes the food circuit: the food does not pass through the stomach or through the upper part of the digestive tract and is transported directly to the middle part of the hail. This heavy and irreversible operation requires hospitalisation for 4 to 6 days.
- The gastrectomy sleeve consists in removing a large part of the stomach and turning it into a tube. Recommended for severe obesity, this operation, also heavy and irreversible, requires a hospitalization of 3 to 5 days.
- The EndoBarrier does not require hospitalization or surgery. It is a sheath which is lined inside the intestine and which considerably reduces the absorption of calories by the body.
Claude T, long-time patient of Dr. Spatzierer
"Having quit smoking in 1990, I gained a lot of weight, up to 20 kilos ! I've been on dieting and weight regain. I once pushed the door of Dr. Spatzierer's office. He explained to me that I had to stop depriving myself of everything and then allow myself everything because I had been so frustrated. He also explained to me that the key to success lies in sport. But, at the time, I held a position of responsibility in a large communications agency and it was impossible for me to free time for a sporting activity. So I continued to go through cycles of weight loss and weight regain, getting frustrated and then feeling guilty.
Until the day I decided to start my own business and be master of my own schedule. For over seven years, I have been swimming 6 times a week and doing my 20 km weekly crawl. That's how I managed to stabilize my weight. It's true that I eat healthy enough every day (lots of vegetables and fish), but when I feel like it, I don't deprive myself of a good pizza or an apple crumble, without gaining weight."